Lots of people think driving is easy, hands on wheels turn on the ignition go left or right, reverse, brake to pull over and horn to get someone’s attentions and that’s all about driving.
Driving which means an act of operating a vehicle. A simple definition but a difficult act, driving requires skills, time, focus, your mental and physical ability, it also requires knowing and applying the rules of the road and to drive responsibly. Not everyone one on wheels should be called a driver, so whenever you’re behind the wheels assume other road users are inexperienced, ignorant or terrible drivers.
Common road rules ignored:
It breaks my heart when I see people ignoring road rule, rules are very important and no one is above the law.
- Seat belts- No excuse should be given for not wearing a seat belt. Wearing of seat belts has proven to save lives. Never forget to wear a seatbelt, its like going to war without a gun, that is suicide.
- Speed limits- speed limits are being ignored on a daily basis even on a rainy day that can be dangerous especially when there are lot of water on the road.
- Distractions – The odds of death are high for distracted drivers. Distractions in driving includes trying to read a magazine, rubbernecking, eating, drinking, texting, listening to loud music, trying to retrieve something that fell, humans can also be a distraction. Lots of things are tempting to do quickly but it is wise to avoid being distracted.
- Faulty cars- some of the vehicles with bad head lamps or broken tail lights, this can cause crash on the road at night especially on streets with no street light, a pedestrian won’t notice an incoming car and would cross carelessly. The consequences of not getting little things fixed are too much to bare.
- Tailgating – drivers are always in a hurry, so it is difficult not to see drivers tailgating but it is advisable to be distance away from the next vehicle on the road for your safety and other road user.
- Traffic rules- To some people following traffic rules is a waste of time and doesn’t sound right to obey.
- One way- This is a common problem especially in Nigeria. And has caused more harm than good. They are often distracted drivers on the wrong side of the road.
Benefits of driving school:
Driving school is way different from learning from a family member or a friend. A family member will not be devoted to teaching you and probably will not teach you everything you need to know about driving, their major focus will be on the practical alone leaving the theoretical aspect untouched unlike in a driving school. In driving school you get to meet with professionals that will guide the learner appropriately and ensure the learner is well educated from traffic signs to road rules. Driving school offers:
- Efficient Learning- The amount of learning in a driving school overweighs the amount of learning from a friend. In driving school no point is left out, the instructor does not move on to the next step until the task at hand is fully understood by the learner.
- Road Rules and driving etiquette – Driving school aids new learner in learning and understanding road rules and road signs.
- Dedicated Instructors– Family/friends may not be dedicated at all time to teach but its the job of the instructor so the instructor takes his time in teaching, he won’t over look little mistakes and will be very observant.
- Gain Confidence– A professional instructor who is knowledgeable and patient will help a nervous learner gain confidence behind the wheel.
It is important to know the meaning of road signs. Road signs are made to improve drivers safety on the road. It serves as a daily reminder to drivers in what they ought to do and what they ought not to do and the condition of the road. All road signs must be obeyed.